Now that Season 8 of Project Runway is underway, we get to see Nina Garcia on a weekly basis dolling out advice and critique to the challenged designers. As the fashion editor for Marie Claire (and formerly Elle magazine), Nina has the up-to-the-minute info on what’s hot and what’s not. And, she can disseminate a “look” and give advice on what works to be fashionable and stylish on a dime. So when her new book arrived here at DIYStyle, we were intrigued, but not surprised to see that she has now taken veritably every notable occasion and turned it into a “What to Wear” opportunity, conveying her pro style sense.
“Nina Garcia’s Look Book” with illustrations by the beloved Rubin Toledo hits the bookstore this week. An easy read, just like her previous books (“The 100″ and “Little Black Book of Style”), this one gives guidance for every category of life and style possible. With sections for work, dating, day, night, holidays, life events, weddings and dream travel she pretty well covers it all! Here are some of the topics (including some that will make you smile):
- The Sweatpants Trap: What to Wear when you work from home
- Come Fly With Me: What to Wear on a business trip
- Love Hurts: What to Wear when you breakup with your boyfriend
- The New Crew: What to Wear when you meet your new boyfriends friends
- For the People: What to Wear when you are volunteering
- Curtains Up: What to Wear to a Broadway play
- Reality Bites: What to Wear when you are single on Valentines Day
- Youth Gone Wild: What to Wear to chaperone a school dance
- Objection Your Honor: What to Wear to Jury Duty
- Matriarchal Chic: What to Wear to your daughter’s wedding
- On the Road Again: What to Wear when traveling
All throughout Nina infuses us with her personality–laid back tongue-in-cheek humor and fashion tips, as well as the expected (per her other books) quotes and bits of wisdom from fashion icons and others that just make the book generally fun and energetic. Read the entire book cover to cover in one sitting or (like we did), just pick it up, turn to a section and start surfing around. Either way you will come away with what to wear guidance from the best fashion guru around. Just tell your girlfriends “Nina Says”!