Party Dress in an Instant
- 1 bra (Note: when purchasing a bra for this project, look to see that the back of the bra is made with similar fabric or trim as the front. Not just with elastic that looks like a standard bra)
- 2 ¼ yards of fabric for the body of the dress
- Water soluble marker
- Dual Duty XP sewing thread
- The KIT
- Measure the bra band from end to end. Double this measurement for the width of the front and back panels.
- For the length of each of the panels, measure from under the bra line to where you would like the dress hem to fall. Now, add 1” to that measurement, ½” for the hem and ½” for the seam at the top edge of the dress.
- Cut two panels using the above measurements.
- Cut two strips 6” wide by 36” long for the straps.
- At the top of the center back panel, mark a four to five inch “V”. With a small straight stitch, stitch around the marking.
- Cut down the center of the “V”. Fold under twice to the wrong side of the panel. Stitch securely.
- Pin the right sides of the front and back panels’ together, stitch and press.
- Stitch a row of gathering stitches along the top edge of each of the panels. Gather up about one fourth of the fullness from the panels.
- Divide the dress panel and the bra into fourths. Lay the wrong side of the bra on top of the right side of the dress panel, pin at the markings.
- Set the sewing machine to a three step zigzag and stitch the dress panel to the bra’s lower band. Pulling the bra band taut as you stitch, drawing in the balance of the dress’ fullness to fit the bra band.
- Snip the stitches holding the bras straps to the bra and remove them from the bra.
- To make the straps, fold each strip of fabric in half lengthwise with right sides facing. Stitch a small seam, angling at one end and leaving the opposite end open for turning.
- Turn the straps right side out and press.
- Gather the raw ends of each strap and pin to the underside of the bra where the original strap was connected. Stitch the new straps in place, securely. Tie around the back of the neck, like a halter.
- Double check the length of the dress. With the serger, stitch a three thread rolled hem at the bottom edge of the dress.
Most Popular Sewing Projects
- Quick-Stitch Dog Bed
- Simple Scarf Halter Top
- Party Dress in an Instant
- Chic Foldover Clutch Purse
- Quickie Robe
- DIYStyle Knitwear & Lingerie Patterns