Bloody Mary Costume
Blue Hawaiian Costume
Halloween: Cocktail Inspired Costumes
Matching Dual Duty XP thread
1 ½ yards cotton print fabric (for bodice)
1 yard coordinating satin fabric (for skirt)
2 yards tulle
¾ yard craft and home décor nterfacing
¾ yard VELCRO® brand FABRIC FUSION(TM) hook and loop fastener.
3 yards of 1 ½” wide satin ribbon
To determine how to cut these individual pieces: Measure waist and add 6” to your • waist measurement. You will use this new “waist” measurement to determine how to cut the bodice and waist band
Example: Waist = 24” --add 6”--now the “waist” measurement is 30” (add 6” • to your actual waist measurement and then use that to cut the length of the waistband and the width of the bodice pieces. Forconstruction purposes this will be referred to as W”)
Cut 1 waist band piece from cotton print fabric W” x 10”•
Cut 2 bodice pieces from cotton print fabric W” x 21”•
Cut 2 skirt panels from satin fabric 45” x 18” •
Cut 1 of interfacing for waistband, W” x 5”•
Cut 1 of interfacing for bodice, piecing together for needed length: 2 X W” x 10 • 1/2”
- Cut 1 piece of the bodice piece in half so there are 2 pieces that are ½ W” x 21”. Stitch 1. the bodice together matching the side seams, using 5/8” seam allowance.. Fold top in half lengthwise wrong sides together and press. Fuse interfacing on lower half of bodice placing interfacing the full width of bodice. Match raw edges and pin. Baste to hold in place.
- Fold waist band in half length wise wrong sides together and press. Fuse interfacing on 2. lower half of waistband, placing interfacing the full width of waistband. Match raw edges and pin. Baste to hold in place.
- Cut 1 piece of the skirt in half so that it makes 2 pieces that are 22.5” x 18”. Using 3. these sections, match raw edges right sides together. Stitch a 1” seam half-way (on the 22.5” edges) up to create the back opening. Match the side seams and stitch with a5/8” seam.
- On bodice piece: Run basting stitches on the edge to gather, so that it fits the top of the 4. waist band. Pin onto waist band right sides together and stitch with a 5/8” seam. On Skirt: Run basting stitches along the edge to gather, so that it fits the bottom part of the waist band and stitch with a 5/8” seam. Make sure the open seam of the skirt is matched to the back of the top and waistband.
- Fold tulle length wise piece in 1/3 matching raw edges. Baste together close to the edge 5. to hold layers in place. Run basting stitches along edge to gather. Gather edge of long pieces tight. Match gathered tulle to waistband seam that joins to bodice. Tulle should fall between the side seams (it will help the front stand up when finished!). Use a zigzag stitch to hold in place.
- Fold each side of the open back in 1” and press. Top stitch close to the edge to hold in 6. place. Place the hook side of the VELCRO ® brand fastener on the right side of the dress on the right side of the fabric, press in place. Cut the other piece of VELCRO ® hook and loop fastener into 5-- 4” pieces. Place them on the underside of the wrong side of dress, perpendicular to the edge, 5” apart from each other all the way down the dress. Fuse in place with iron and press cloth to hold permanently.
- Finish lower hem edge with a serge finish or turn under and stitch close to the edge.7.
- To complete your “Cocktail” look: Make your favorite “Mocktail” to carry to match your 8. creation, add fun hair accessories (we liked celery in an updo for our Bloody Mary, or a hibiscus flower tucked behind the ear for our Blue Hawaiian), grab your girlfriends and you’re ready to party!
Most Popular Sewing Projects
- Quick-Stitch Dog Bed
- Simple Scarf Halter Top
- Party Dress in an Instant
- Chic Foldover Clutch Purse
- Quickie Robe
- DIYStyle Knitwear & Lingerie Patterns