Reversible Tube Top
- 1 rib knit sweater or sweater vest (for bands)
- 5/8" yd. each of 2 different fabrics (for tube)
- Matching thread
- 5/8" elastic, measure to fit above bust
- 1" elastic, measure to fit at waist
Top and Bottom Bands
Using the sweater or sweater vest, cut off a 7" wide piece, all the way across the bottom of the sweater (ribbing part) keeping it in a continuous circle to use for the bottom band. Cut off another piece, 6" wide, (thru cables or center part of sweater) keeping it in a continuous circle to use for the top band.
Body of Tube
- From each fabric, cut 2 pieces 20" X 22".
- Pin two pieces (from same fabric) right sides together, matching long (22") edges. Stitch a 5/8" seam. Repeat for 2nd two pieces from the other fabric. Zig-zag stitch to finish the side seams. Press seams open.
- With wrong sides together, place one fabric "tube" inside the other, matching raw edges at top and bottom, and side seams. Baste raw edges together.
- Using the sweater bands, pin top band on the upper raw edge of tube, right sides together. Stitch 5/8" seam around the top of band. Fold band over the raw edge and pin edge to the opposite side. Stitch close to the edge catching both edges of band, leaving an opening to insert elastic.
- Pin the bottom band on the lower raw edge of tube, continue as above. Thread 5/8" elastic through the top band opening, pulling elastic to fit. Stitch the ends together. Thread 1" elastic through bottom band, pull elastic to fit, stitch ends together.
- Hand stitch or machine stitch the top and bottom band openings closed.
Project excerpted with permission from My Style, My Place, Krause Publications, ©2007. You can purchase a copy of this book at booksellers nationwide, or at www.krause.com.
Most Popular Sewing Projects
- Simple Scarf Halter Top
- Quick-Stitch Dog Bed
- Party Dress in an Instant
- Chic Foldover Clutch Purse
- DIYStyle Knitwear & Lingerie Patterns
- Switch It Up Trim